Friday, April 13, 2012

The SAHM Label

I just read an article about Ann Romney that talked about her being attacked for being a SAHM. Some Democratic pundit on a talking heads cable show declared that she “never worked a day in her life.” As a fellow SAHM, I can attest to the diligence and fortitude it takes to be good at this job. I've never worked harder in my life!

Why does society hate Stay-at-Home Moms? There's an air of disdain whenever someone talks about the label, an assumption that anyone who chooses this path is inherently lazy and entitled. Or at best there's some patronizing comment issued about what a tough job it is.

I spend my days completing mundane tasks so that my family has what they need to have a successful day. Lunches. Laundry. Homework. But I also work hard at giving them the tools they need to evolve into good people. Kisses. Words of advice. Words of praise. Being a SAHM is about more than doing the dishes. It's about constructing a world that allows your children to grow up happy and secure and strong.

I don't know Ann Romney, but I do know what it's like to be a SAHM. And I know that if society gave this job its due, more people might choose this path.

2 comments:

  1. In France, SAHMs (I think any mom, really) are paid for their work as moms. PAID!! I imagine that our culture would value it a lot more if it earned income (and hell to the yeah it should).

    Catch-22, I suppose: our culture doesn't value parenthood enough to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea France paid SAHMs - that blows me away! I've been fantasizing all morning about starting a non-profit to pay and guide SAHMs. Now all I have to do is find a million dollars!

    ReplyDelete