Friday, June 22, 2012

The Lone Voice on Times-PicayuneGate

Today I'm going off topic. No kid-related or mom-related issues. I know I'm risking alienating my small audience with what I'm about to say, but I mean for this blog to be honest and current. Times-PicayuneGate certainly qualifies as current. And I feel compelled to be honest about my feelings on the subject.

So here they are in all their honest glory: I don't get it.

While the masses are crying out against the injustice of the Reviled Downsizing, I'm left shaking my head. What do people expect? It seems pretty clear to me that the world is evolving into a digital creation. Several major newspapers have already shifted focus to their online offerings. What has surprised me most about the TP's move is how progressive it is!

As I've come to expect from my beloved NOLA, the city is staunchly opposed to change. And to top it all off, the residents have taken it personally. Chris Rose is leading the pack with his outrage and indignation. The paper itself is overrun daily with Op/Eds on the subject. The People can't believe the Times-Picayune would do this to them! But I'm simply baffled. Does everyone expect the Times-Picayune to operate at a loss? Even if they were able to jack up their prices and get the public to pay them, should the company ignore the trajectory of the publishing industry? Let's face it, the Internet is the future.

Ok, yes, Advance Publications was a bit callous about how they handled all the layoffs. To blindside their employees and not give them any time to plan or digest what was going down, that's pretty awful. And I could not agree more with those who say the nola.com is a sad excuse for a website. Here I definitely I see eye to eye with New Orleanians. If Advance wanted to shift its focus to its online product, it should have made their website into something awesome before pulling the trigger on the rest of their plan.

I've heard that when everyone else sees things differently than you do, it's wise to take a closer look at yourself. Maybe I am crazy, but it doesn't feel that way. It feels like the rest of the world is! (Yes, I'm aware that that's exactly what a crazy person would say.) I can't help but feel bewildered. 

*Sigh* As usual, I'm the misfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment